Connecting with Families
We welcome you and your family to UUSD. Families have become much more complex over the last few decades. Your family may mean your chosen family, blended family, adoptive family, or extended family. Our UUSD families are straight and LGBTQ, partnered and single, and come from a wide range of religious backgrounds. Together we create a unique spiritual community where we share and explore our paths as parents, partners, and families.
Why Come to Church?
- Our community will partner with you to help raise children who are kind, respectful, fair-minded, caring, and strong enough to stand up for what is right.
- Our classes will reinforce the values you as parents teach at home, and help your children develop a moral compass, embrace diversity, and cherish the world they live in.
- Our programs will help your children explore the beliefs and customs of world religions and the ideals and principles that shape Unitarian Universalism.
Why bring your family to UUSD?
Your family is welcome at UUSD. See our brochure, “Growing Kind Caring and Respectful Children.”
Unitarian Universalist Eight Principles for Children
- Each and every person is important.
- All people should be treated fairly and kindly.
- Our congregations are places where all people are accepted and where we keep on learning together.
- Each person must be free to search for what is true and right in life.
- All persons deserve a vote about the things that concern them.
- We believe in working for a peaceful, free, and fair world.
- We must care for our planet Earth and every living thing that shares it.
- We will work to build a safe and welcoming community, free of racism and oppression. (Adopted by UUSD in 2022)
- Annual picnics
- Beach clean-up day
- Ceremonies of dedication for infants and children
- Intergenerational services, including our Christmas pageant and Flower Celebration Sunday
Contact Darlene Sellers, Chair of our Children’s Faith Exploration Committee, for more information.