Unitarian Universalists are passionate about love, about community, about truth, about justice. The commitment to justice is deeply rooted in the UU tradition. It is a spiritual path we at UUSD forge and follow fervently, both locally and nationally. Our fellow activists know that members of UUSD show up and can be counted on to be active and present. Bring your passion and your energy and join us.
Our Justice Priorities
Annually, the Board of Trustees and the congregation approve a Resolution of Conscience and Statement of Purpose to guide UUSD’s justice work in six major justice areas:
- Immigrant and Refugee
- Women, Family, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation.
Social Justice Film Series
The UUSD Social and Environmental Justice Committee periodically shows social justice films with a discussion following. Below are some of the titles that have been presented and the groups with whom we have collaborated.
In 2022, the films shown were:
- Who We Are – Collaboratively with the 8th Principle Task Group and Adult Faith Exploration, we offered a documentary about the history of racism in the U.S. – April
In 2021, the films shown were:
- Who We Are – This documentary about the history of racism in America was shown collaboratively with the UUSD 8th Principle Task Group and the Adult Faith Exploration Committee. – April
- For They Know not What They Do – State Senator Sarah McBride joined a post-film discussion via Zoom. – June
- Kiss the Ground – In collaboration with Peace Week Delaware, a documentary about regenerative agriculture was followed by discussion with representatives from Socially Responsible Agriculture Project and the American Grass-fed Organization. – October
- Thirteenth – This film was shown in collaboration with UUSD’s 8th Principle Task Group. – November
In 2020, films shown were:
- Suppressed: The Fight for the Vote – We invited League of Women Voters Sussex and Women’s March Sussex. – January
- Immigrant Justice — Guests from La Esperanza and St. John’s Episcopal Church’s Asylum Seekers project joined us. – March
- The Human Element — This film was shown in collaboration with Delaware Interfaith Power & Light. – May
- Suppressed 2020 – September
In 2019, the films shown were:
- The Sign (Racial) — January
- Radical Harmonies (Women’s Music history) — March
- Stonewall Uprising (LGBTQ history) — June
- Right to Harm (Environmental/Factory Farming) — September
- The Infiltrators (about Dreamers) — November, sponsored by UUSD as part of the Rehoboth Beach Film Society Festival.
In 2018, the films shown were:
- She’s Beautiful when She’s Angry (Women’s Rights) — March
- Defying the Nazis (Peacemaking and Refugee Rights) — May
- Ocean Frontiers III (Environmental) — July
- Making a Killing (Gun Violence) — September
- The Bookshop (Freedom of the Press) — November 3, sponsored by UUSD as part of the Rehoboth Beach Film Society Festival.
- Dolores (Workers’ Rights) — November, sponsored by UUSD as part of the Rehoboth Beach Film Society Festival.
Side with Love
The Side with Love Campaign is an interfaith public advocacy campaign that seeks to harness love’s power to stop oppression. At UUSD, we work in a variety of ways to Side with Love. To learn more about how this program manifests in local communities, go to https://sidewithlove.org/.
Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
UUSD is proud to be a Banner Society of the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSD) because at least 25% of UUSD’s members are also members of UUSC. In addition, a UUSD budget line item earned UUSD the James Luther Adams Award. UUSC is a nonprofit organization advancing human rights together with an international community of grassroots partners and advocates.
Local Organizations with whom UUSD has Partnered on Social/Environemntal Justice Projects
- CAMP Rehoboth
- Cape Henlopen School District – Homeless Children
- Community Minority Liaison Committee (working with Cape Henlopen School District)
- Common Cause DE
- Delaware Civil Rights Coalition
- Delaware Clean Energy Coalition
- Delaware Working Families Party
- Delmarva Green Coalition
- Delaware Interfaith Power and Light (DEIPL)
- Lighthouse for Broken Wings
- La Esperanza
- League of Women Voters – Delaware
- Million Trees Project
- Mt. Zion AME Church
- Network DE with ACLU Delaware
- PeaceWeek Delaware
- PFLAG Rehoboth Beach
- Progressive Interfaith Alliance
- Sierra Club – Delaware
- Socially Responsible Agriculture Project
- Southern Delaware Alliance for Racial Justice
- Unitarian Universalist Delaware Advocacy Network (UUDAN)
- West Side New Beginnings
- Women’s March – Sussex