UUSD is an active participant in planning and participating in Peace Week events that coordinate with the UN’s International Day of Peace and events internationally. Local opportunities include:
- Peace March and Rally — Lewes, Saturday September 16, 3:00 p.m., starting at the 1812 Memorial Park (located at Front Street and Savannah Road), ending at Canal front Park. The rally will include music and comments from clergy of various faith traditions on the meaning of Peace. Rev. Michelle Collins will represent UUSD. The rally will culminate with the dedication of a Peace Pole similar to the ones in our sanctuary and by the entrance to UUSD.
- Worship service on Sunday, September 17 led by Don Peterson, who is chairing the Sussex County Peace Week organizing group.
- Peace-themed movie: Spike Lee’s film Do the Right Thing on Monday, September 18 , 7 p.m. at UUSD, followed by discussion.
- Collection for Syrian refugee children: School supplies, personal hygiene products, children’s clothing and rain boots. Donations accepted from August 21 through Monday evening September 18.
- Peace Week Displays in libraries.
- Justice and Activism 101 Workshop, Tuesday, September 18, 6:30 p.m. at the Metropolitan Community Church of Rehoboth, 19369 Plantation Rd., Rehoboth Beach: The workshop introduces ways to get involved in justice work.